Monday, July 23, 2007

"Separate but equal" didn't work before, and it's not working now.

So is domestic partnership really equivalent to marriage? Um, no.

Not by a long shot.

This is an issue I've gone back and forth on, mostly about the question of whether marriage is even a viable model for gay couples, whether it's something one should aspire to.

But I'd like to have the ability to decide for myself. Not some half-assed watered down alternative that's supposed to provide just enough to keep everyone quiet and in their place on the back of the bus. And not something that involves putting my rights up to a vote.

"This is not about gay or lesbian," Garber said. "This is about the law being fair."

I was listening to Le Tigre this afternoon. As I recall (the CD is still in my car and I don't feel like going out to get it):

"Because they will try to convince us that we have already arrived. That we are already there. That it has happened."

We haven't arrived, we're not there, and it sure as hell hasn't happened. Don't tell me it has when I can see plain as day that it hasn't.

I may shut up about that someday. But not today.

No comments: